Join the Better Impact Team
IT System Specialist
Apply your technical expertise to make reliable and secure platform even better. Our continuing growth has created an opportunity to join the Better Impact team as a full-time, permanent, IT System Specialist.
Better Impact is a small but global business that helps non-profits and charities engage and manage volunteers, donors and members more effectively and with greater efficiency. Our head office is in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and we currently have small offices in Chicago, Adelaide Australia and London England.
Our clients include:
- international charities, such as the Salvation Army and Habitat for Humanity,
- cities, such as San Diego, Vancouver and Toronto (Canada), Lancashire and Oxfordshire (UK), and Perth and Melbourne (Australia) to name a few,
- hospitals such as Ohio State University Medical Center and Johns Hopkins Healthcare (USA), Alberta Health and the University Health Network in Toronto (Canada), multiple National Health Services hospitals (UK) and Melbourne Health and Sydney Children’s Hospital Network (Australia) to name a few,
- events (such as Lollapalooza (USA), Hull City of Culture (UK), Cricket World Cup Championships (Australia) and FIFA Woman’s World Cup (Canada),
- and thousands of smaller charities and non-profits in ten countries.
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about platform reliability and security and would like to apply that passion to help not-for-profit organisations and charities accomplish the most they possibly can.
We’ll provide you with:
- a flexible work environment that recognizes there are other aspects to your life than work
- a casual and comfortable office that includes a gym, shower, games area, 4th floor outdoor patio
- sick days that you can use for anything you’d like, sick or not
- the resources and ongoing training to help you succeed
- the opportunity to make a difference in the world by helping organisations trying to do the same
- a compensation package based on your current experience
A dedicated systems specialist who will help plan, implement, monitor and support the technological footprint in the development, testing and product environments, while ensuring an ongoing stability level of 99.95% uptime and maintaining the ISO 27001 security standards that our customers expect.
Weekdays 9:00-5:00 EST/EDT, evening and weekend on-call maintenance work will be required
- Expert-level knowledge of the Windows Server operating system (Windows Server 2012+).
- Experience administrating, supporting, and optimizing SQL Server (2012+) in a production environment.
- Strong knowledge of IIS and underlying web server infrastructure concerns.
- Experience building and administrating physical, virtualized, and cloud environments.
- Familiarity with implementing and supporting infrastructure concerns such as DNS, CDNs, and Web Application Firewalls.
- An understanding of secure development, deployment, and infrastructure fundamentals.
- Experience working as part of a software development team would be considered a benefit.
- Experience with putting together an automated deployment process using a package such as Octopus Deploy would be considered a benefit.
- University degree in a related field / College diploma in a related field / OR Equivalent work experience
- 5-10 years of directly related proven experience
- An acceptable current Criminal Record Check must be submitted prior to starting employment
Required Outcomes and Responsibilities:
- 1st Month
- Familiarize yourself with existing development and production environment
- Review, understand and confirm compliance with the ISO documentation, policies and KPIs as they apply to our organization
- Understand our goals for improving the security and flexibility of our IT setup, and make a minimum of 10 viable and financially responsible recommendations to ensure that we meet or exceed them
- 1st Quarter
- Assist with the upgrade planning of the production environment by implementing a development environment that mirrors the production environment as closely as possible
- To maintain, and being the implementation process of recommendations made in the 1st month, to increase our security posture in both our development and production environments
- Implement a solution to enable a more flexible and secure remote and in-office development experience
- 1st Year
- Document the initial setup and ongoing operation of both the development and production environments in line with ISO 27001 expectations.
- Ensure the transition to the new production environment is seamless and causes as minimal a service impact as possible based upon the recommendations being implemented
- Help the department achieve an uptime of 99.95% by supporting and monitoring the development and production environments on an on-call basis, as required
- Ensure that our uptime (exclusive of planned maintenance) continues to meet or exceed our guaranteed SLA of 99.95% uptime
- To help reduce our ongoing production environment expenditures by at least 10%
- To ensure the replacement of our affected legacy production environment occurs at least of the manufacturer’s end of life date in October 2023
If you think you’re a great fit for this position, email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Better Impact is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals. We believe a diverse workforce enhances our ability to fulfil our mission. We strive to offer a barrier-free recruitment and selection process. If you are contacted for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
We’ve added seven people to the team since January and we’ll be adding more next year. If your passions and talents are in any of the areas below, keep us on your radar or let us know you’d be interested in learning more when the time comes.
- Back end development
- Front end development
- Network administration
- Sales and Support (Latin America)
Who We Are
Better Impact is a small but global team who help non-profits and charities to engage and manage volunteers, donors and members more effectively and with greater efficiency. Our head office is in Hamilton Ontario Canada and we have small offices in Chicago, Seattle, Adelaide and London. Our clients include international charities (such as the Salvation Army and Habitat for Humanity), cities (such as San Diego, Houston, Ottawa, Toronto, Lancashire UK, Oxfordshire UK, and Perth Australia to name a few), events (such as The Burlington Sound of Music Festival, Hull City of Culture (UK), Cricket World Cup Championships, FIFA Woman’s World Cup (Canada), and Lollapalooza (USA)), and thousands of smaller charities and non-profits in ten countries. Better Impact is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals. We believe a diverse workforce enhances our ability to fulfill our mission.